Wednesday, August 15, 2007

smitten with seacrest


Prior to yesterday, I'd always viewed AI host Ryan Seacrest as a mere accessory to the "Idol" action. Didn't hate him, but didn't love him, either. If I had to pick a side, though, I'd most likely join the haters. His weird facial hair was seriously creeping me out last season.

But when my media efforts to stand around aimlessly were interrupted by Fox crews telling me it was time to "meet Ryan," that all changed.

Initially, the Fox people told us Seacrest wouldn't be there, so I initially envisioned this so-called "Ryan" as a former hopeful desperate for a cheap shot at publicity.

False.

It was the real Ryan (who's also an Atlanta-area native), and the 10 of us in the media crew were told to stand in a semi-circle and ask questions. Individually, we each got about three minutes with him.

Seacrest was, surprisingly, not as short as I imagined him to be. I'd guess about 5'3". Not tall enough to audition for "America's Next Top Model," I'll note.

Anyway, I was the second to last journalist to interview him, and I have to admit my knees buckled a little bit when he said he liked my name. Don't tell anyone.

I asked him if he liked sweet tea (yes), what kind of genres he'd like to see emerge next season and which musical guests he'd like to see perform on AI.

My spirits fluttered a little when he mentioned the Backstreet Boys' reunion.

Quit playing games with my heart, Seacrest!

No comments: