Tuesday, May 8, 2007

MY PICKS

For a genre characterized by neon hues and infectious dance moves, Bee Gees/disco night inspired some of the most mediocre performances of the season. Ironically this is the one night when I could have used a little Chris Richardson. "How Deep is Your Love," anyone?
Fans brave enough to argue that this season's final four is as strong as last season's were likely shot down during the first half alone, as season six's pack offered nothing near as innovative as the way in which last season's final four handled Elvis tunes.
Even Melinda was off, as her lack of personality surfaced amid performances that were relatively strong vocally, but seemed to lack the proverbial "wow" factor. Even softie Paula Abdul couldn't resist commenting on Melinda's boring stage presence.
Jordin, meanwhile, offered the strongest showings of the night, but largely because of the weak competition. Barry Gibb sang her praises, but I didn't notice anything outside her norm.
Blake gave back-to-back beatboxing performances, but they seemed to lack the creativity of last week's take on Bon Jovi. It appeared as if he was compensating for weak vocals, rather than making songs his own.
Finally, LaKisha succumbed to early predictions that she'd be the one to go home. Her slow, monotonous take on "Stayin' Alive" was coupled with a ballad that offered no real technical skills and uniqueness.
I say she goes home. Thoughts?

2 comments:

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Yeah, it's either Lakisha or Blake, even though I think Blake came through for a second strait week with his best performances of the competition.

I gave my votes to Jordin....110 times.

I'm really pulling for a Jordin/Melinda final.

Anonymous said...

I really love Melinda's voice, and I hope she sails through to the next round. I don't care who is in the finals, as long as Melinda is one of them. Melinda/Jordin would be great!