Monday, January 14, 2008

bitter clay


Looks like SOMEBODY needs an extra back rub from Ruben Studdard.

Clay Aiken got a little angry during a recent interview with a Newsweek reporter. Newsweek's transcript of the interview starts off fine, but gets a little heated at about the halfway mark. Here's what went down:

**********

Reporter: How did you get into a fight with that lady on a plane?

Aiken: I'm not going to talk about it.

I was just curious because you've never talked about it.

I did talk about it.

What about the Kelly Ripa thing?

I'm not going to discuss it.

Did you think it was homophobic?

I'm not going to discuss it.

What do you want to talk about?

I think we're done.

Can we talk about something fun?

No, we're done. I thought NEWSWEEK would be more reputable. I'm surprised.

But I think people are curious about it.

It was a year ago. This is NEWSWEEK. It's not the National Enquirer. I'd hate to have a job where I had to be rude to people.

We're just having a conversation.

Change the subject! I'd never take a job where I had to do something that I didn't want to do.

What about all those Ford commercials on "American Idol"?

That wasn't a job.

It was part of your job.

It wasn't a Ford commercial. It was a music video. It was a completely different thing.

I'll change the subject. What do you do for fun?

I watch the news. I read news magazines, but I'm reconsidering that now.

Are you going to watch "Idol"?

I haven't watched since season four. I compare it to high-school football--if it weren't for high school, we wouldn't be successful, but I don't need to keep going to the football games.

**********

Read the full interview here. In case you were wondering, the interviewer was referring to an armrest dispute on an airplane. Get that story here. Also, click here to refresh your memory of the Clay Aiken/Kelly Ripa fight.

That said, what do you think of the interview? Was the reporter out of line, or was Clay just in a bad mood?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing both. I don't think The interviewer needed to be what essentually was pokking a stick at Aiken to get him to answer questions he obviously wasn't gong to. And I had to agree that for Newsweek this was rather low and enquirer style, but Clay must have been sore because he wasn't wasting his time with niceties on this one.

Anonymous said...

It seems like Clay has had to deflect those questions a lot because he got into instant grouch mode. Not that i blame him. If that happened a whole year ago, I'd be tired of it, too. And is there really nothing going on in his life that the reporter could have focused on?? Maybe not...

lisa mc said...

The liberal media obviously hates that he's gay ... and I bet that Newsweek reporter was really pissed that he/she got assigned to interviewing Clay Aiken. I think that would be a reason to ask him embarrassing/inappropriate questions.

You know, what's his name didn't mind when I asked him if he wore boxers or a man-thong. Ryan ... what was Ashlee Simpson's boyfriend's name? Shit, I can't even remember. Cabrera! there you go.

Anonymous said...

I realize this is old news now, but I just came across it. Reading the whole interview, he seems quite pleasant at the beginning. I can't say that I blame him for just refusing to talk about things he doesn't want to talk about. He's not obligated to just because he has a career in entertainment. He's still entitled to boundaries but sometimes the media don't respect that.

Anonymous said...

Also, why "the liberal media hates that he's gay"? Well, he has said that he's not. I don't understand why people can't take that comment as true, since he would know. If he was saying "I don't like spaghetti," would everyone go around saying "I bet he really does, he just won't admit it." No, we'd believe him because he said how he felt about it. So his sexuality should be the same.