Wednesday, May 21, 2008

idol ends, cook's future begins

I have to give some credit to AI voters. Clearly, people are ready for a change of tide, and the show got its first rock Idol with David Cook's victory tonight.

He ends the night performing this year's coronation tune, "Time of My Life," tears and all, and sounds pretty good.

Despite the excessive praise Archuleta received from judges Tuesday night, I think if anything, the night proved Archie's lack of versatility as a recording artist. Cook represented something new, not only musically, but also with a personality "edge" that's not as traditionally saccharine as the AI brand.

I can still see Archie recording a song or two for adult contemporary radio, though.

Sure, this season had its down points, but in the end I think the finale proved we got a pretty strong depth of talent. I'd rank this one above Season 6, definitely.

It's been interesting, definitely, and I'd like to thank all you guys not only for checking in regularly, but also for the excellent comments. Even when they involve repeated use of "hit that" or criticism of my predictions. You've made me look forward to nights of glorified karaoke.

And, of course, I'd like to extend a special thanks to my weekly hosts, Dawn and Jeff, who watch this cheesy show just to help me out.

I still plan on updating this blog semi-regularly, at least in August when I plan to attend the Idols Live tour.

Thanks again for reading...keep the comments coming.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow I was so surprised. I wanted to say this before on your blog but maybe the judges drooling all over archie and being so hard on cook actually motivated people to vote for cook and backfired on the judges.

anyone?

Anonymous said...

This has to be the most ridiculous result ever! I couldn't STAND DC with his arrogance and his voice is just scratchy, like he needs to cough something up. Archuleta was NEVER off key.. absolutely perfect. This is definitely not a singing contest.

Anonymous said...

I think the Archuleta would have gotten some good sales from his record had he won.. assuming he'd find a good songwriter (since he has no originality) and kept that goofy, clueless act going (to woo all the 10 to 17-year-olds and ladies of the 38-50 age bracket).

Anonymous said...

American Idol sometimes be CheeZY

When I'm watchin'it on my TV

But David Cook is the P.I.M.P!!!

And Sonya Sorich, you owe me a PaNiNi

Johnny Five

Anonymous said...

Sonya, I've been critical of your comments at times, and I'm sorry. AI has a way of drawing you in so much that you actually feel that your favorite contestant is "family" or something and take their success so personally. I love Archie, but I also love Cook (even though I'm in my 50's and not too crazy about the "grunge" look). You gave excellent coverage of the entire season--much better that AI's website. Thanks for all you've done, and forgive me for being less than kind in a couple of my responses.

lisa mc said...

Sonya, you are a great recapper and an encyclopedia of knowledge about AI. Thanks for giving us personalized updates, etc., and for devoting like, countless non-work hours a week to this show.

And also, yay! David Cook yay!

(Archuleta has been really good the past couple of nights, though, I gotta hand it to the tiny Mormon.)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, props to miss Sonya. you made this season of AI much more enjoyable, even when I had to argue with you. Glad I found your blog. Please keep it up next year!

Anonymous said...

July 11, 2008 - Portland.
Ramiele lip sinked.