Thursday, April 5, 2007

hard rock


Some final thoughts on Gina's departure...it still comes as a surprise to me...she was nowhere near the top tier of performances Tuesday, but she was without a doubt higher caliber than her partners in the bottom three, Phil Stacey and Haley Scarnato.


It's noteworthy that her rocker image didn't carry her farther. I'd say it boiled down to consistency -- at best, she got mediocre reviews weekly -- but in a season driven primarily by stage presence (one word: Sanjaya) that's a rough argument to make.


Ultimately, I think viewers just didn't connect to Gina. Sure, she rocked out -- in a ballad-singing, dress-wearing kind of way -- but beyond flaunting Hot Topic gear, she wasn't hardcore enough to solidify a rocker fan base.


Plus, while showering this morning, I got the idea that Phil Stacey could have acquired some of Chris Sligh's voters. Just a thought.


At any rate, I'll miss Gina. I always called her my guilty pleasure of the season. I'm sure she'll keep rocking...at the dental office she works at in Chicago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pondering american idol voting possibilities in the shower?? ... obsessed?