Tuesday, April 17, 2007

phil takes on keith urban

And here we go. After a surprisingly short judge banter, we got the obligatory reminder that Martina McBride is tonight's guest mentor. She says she's convinced to get Simon to become a country fan. We'll see about that

1. Phil Stacey...Martina tells him to put some
Song: "Where the Black Top Ends"
Me: I predicted Phil would do well on country week, and this fortunately got the show off to a good start. It's relatively strong vocally, although not incredibly challenging. Still, I'm glad we finally got a departure from the morbid stuff he's hit us with in weeks past. I had all these grotesque visions of Phil singing Garth Brooks' "The Dance" or something. Luckily, that didn't happen, and even though I wish he would have tested himself from a technical standpoint, he has energy and I really can't complain. All in all, he did well, but I think he still has the weakest fan base of the bunch.
Randy: "You could have a career, man, in country music."
Paula: "It does seem like this is the genre that you feel most comfortable in."
Simon: "It's only taken 10 weeks, Phil...We actually saw some personality."
Score: 7/10

No comments: