Tuesday, April 3, 2007

night and day, good and bad

2. Phil Stacey...apparently Tony Bennett is his "hero." And flattery apparently works, because Tony claims he's one of the best singers he's heard. Ever.
Song: "Night and Day"
Me; Yes! No cancer patient hat tonight. This is a fine performance vocally, but something about the performance seems way too old for Phil. Throw in the creepy black suit and you just have something totally morbid. So maybe his biggest problem isn't the cancer patient hat after all. He could be in danger this week, except he slightly redeemed himself by dedicating the song to his wife at the end.
Randy: "I just didn't feel any real connection."
Paula: "I still need you to just have more joy."
Simon: "I think it had all the joy of somebody singing in a funeral parlor."
Score: 4/10

3. Melinda Doolittle
Song: "I've Got Rhythm"
Me: I'm not too impressed by Melinda tonight. Sure, she's the best singer of the bunch, but the song was a bit too showy in the beginning. Nonetheless, she redeemed it in the end, and I assume she'll be sticking around another week. This genre was ideal for Mel, and in spite of the song's initial shakiness, she ended on a note worth remembering.
Randy: "You give everyone here a lesson in singing."
Paula: "You're like a master class for everyone else to watch."
Simon: "I didn't like the first part of the song. I thought it was a bit cabaret...I don't think we're ever going to be able to criticize you."
Score: 8/10

No comments: