Wednesday, May 2, 2007

go home like a rock star


Sanjaya hair musings aside, I think last night's rock-themed episode was my sixth-season favorite so far. For the first time, it seemed like the majority of the singers wanted to be there. Even better, it seemed like they wanted to be there performing songs that weren't merely copycat renditions of outdated B-list varieties.

I've never liked LaKisha or Melinda much, but they both surprised me last night. It seems like Blake is the water cooler topic of the day, though. My opinion aside, his beatbox take on "You Give Love a Bad Name" raises some interesting questions about the extent to which contestants can make songs their own without losing their fan base.

Blake had his critics last night...but I think it's important to remember that ultimately, the contestants lucky enough to get signed will have to record their own music. And sometimes, an ability to perform a dead-on cover doesn't necessarily translate into success as an original artist. (That means you, Ruben Studdard and Taylor Hicks.)

That said, I'm sticking with my picks for elimination -- Chris and LaKisha. Chris seems out of his league, and while I, too, would kiss LaKisha for last night's performance, last week's poor take on Fantasia likely put her in serious jeopardy.

Remember that the double eliminations will be based on votes from this and last week. Keep the comments coming.

No comments: