Friday, February 23, 2007

blake is the coolest



Who is Blake Lewis? Who IS Blake Lewis? A comment in response to my most recent blog post spurred me to clarify my suspicion that this beat-boxer from Washington state has was it takes to win this season's competition.

Sure, I know it's too early to name a clear favorite, but so far Lewis, 25, is the only one who in my mind has conveyed the enigmatic uniqueness that I believe led singers like Taylor Hicks to win the competition in seasons past. Tuesday, he wowed us -- at least me -- with his rendition of Keane's "Somewhere Only We Know," sans beat boxing. And while some viewers might argue his time on the stage hardly rivaled that of female belters like LaKisha Jones and Melinda Doolittle, I disagree.

Here's the thing about Lewis: he doesn't represent a CD we can already buy. Sure, his looks resemble that of an O-Town reject or J-Tim wannabe...traits that initially made me discard him as a prime contender. But his decision to ditch the beat box, and choose a song outside the pop genre, changed my mind. Maybe I'm speaking prematurely...but I think this guy knows how the competition works. He's already made serious headways in showing his talent is multi-faceted and not confined to traditional boy band cliches. Meanwhile, I still have serious doubts that Melinda OR LaKisha's talent can translate into, say, country night.

So who is Blake Lewis? In short, he's one to watch.

(Disclaimer: This post is in no way motivated by a crush. We'd likely have nothing but a Gnarls Barkley CD in common. Just check his answers to the obligatory "Idol" questionnaire. My favorite? When asked of his toughest obstacle in life, Lewis responded, "The obstacles of life." Genius.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genius? Or merely unimaginative? Anyway, he looks exactly like a boy bander -- in fact, he'd be the obligatory ugly guy that every boy band has to make the real star look cuter.

Anonymous said...

yeah did you see him in that hat he was wearnig he looked like a douchbag

Anonymous said...

yeah hes definitly not cute. if it wasnt for the beatbox talent he wold totaly blend into the background. maybe he woldnt have made it to holywood at all. he has an average face