Tuesday, April 22, 2008

fond memories of jason?

Speaking of high...here's Castro. Of his song choice, "Memory," Castro says, "I didn't know a cat was singing it." Awkward. Even more awkward, it seems like there's some serious mentor/singer tension here. Who thinks they celebrated 4/20 together in Vegas?

Song: "Memory"

Me: Very weird song choice. You understand why I entered this performance with a serious level of apprehension, right? But it's a lot better than I expected, and that's not a nice way of saying I hated it. I really liked it, and I appreciate the fact that he took on the tune sans guitar. It's nice, very humble and unpretentious. And vocally, it's pretty on, despite some struggles with the low notes. Sure, he'll have some critics based on song choice, but really...can you think of a Broadway song that would be RIGHT for him?

Randy: "It was a little bit of a train wreck."

Paula: "I think it was a very wise choice for you to do this song."

Simon: "It came over as a young guy being forced by your mom and dad to sing a song at a wedding that you didn't want to sing."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not my personal favorite, but it was just good enough... but yes, there is no GOOD song for him. I guess I expected for him to change something up a little more to fit his style...

lisa mc said...

Does CASTRO even know what the internet is? Like, look up the musicals. Research? Seriously. I don't want him to go home.

I still love him, but man ... couldn't he have found something ... else ... that didn't involve cats.

Anonymous said...

awww. i actually really liked his performance. why is everyone dogging on him? he was great and it actually fit in with his style.

Anonymous said...

I thought Jason was great. Of course it's not his genre of music, but they weren't allowed to choose the genre. You can't find many songs more boring than those of ALW, and why AI chose him is a mystery.

I still wish Jason would get a haircut. He would be so good looking without those dreadful dreads...

Anonymous said...

Whatever possessed Castro to pick this song, it wasn't a good idea. The vocals were a mess, his timing was off, and the range was too much for him. The best thing about the performance was that after two minutes, it ended.


also,
i hate how the people in the front wave their hands, it's so obvious they're being told to do it, and therefore, it comes off so corny, forced, and ultimately, extremely distracting.