Wednesday, April 30, 2008

brooke: no longer a believer

Can't say Brooke's departure is a huge shocker, although it's hard not to become a little sad while watching her tearfully struggle through her departure song, "I Am, I Said."

Brooke started out with some promise, but her appeal diminished as the weeks progressed. From early on, she had her critics -- the ones who said her appeal was driven almost entirely by making acoustic versions of slow tunes.

She's a contestant, I think, who would have done much worse if instruments hadn't been allowed in the competition.

Then, of course, there was the infamous do-over last week. That alone was probably enough to secure her a solid block of pity votes. But without any concrete negative feedback from judges, as well as no extremely memorable performances, Brooke was bound to be in trouble this week.

I don't think she's entirely shut out of a future career as a recording artist, but she needs some confidence and a little more originality.

Thoughts?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

my mom called me just now. i thought she was calling to say goodnight. i answered, "hey mom, what's--." as she cut me off, i heard her weeping, "boo-hoo-hoo. ah boo boo boo!" me, "MOM! WHATS WRONG? IS EVERYTHING OK?! DID GRANDMA FALL DOWN THE STAIRS AGAIN?!" hardly able to catch her breath, she replies."brook got sent home."

reba

Anonymous said...

yeah I felt the same way... when she turned her back on the crowd, I wanted to cry too

Anonymous said...

good ridince

Anonymous said...

Good what?

Anonymous said...

Poor Brooke. I wonder if bigtime fans just stopped voting for her, or if former Carly fans switched to someone else and affected the outcome. She was so good on what she did, though, as she showed with the second song. She didn't need ORIGINALITY, she just needed to be able to do HER thing, not be forced to sing something that doesn't sound good on her.

That's like saying a supermodel is ugly because yellow isn't her color and she's forced to pose in a yellow dress.

Anonymous said...

BROOKE WAS GOOD BUT IT WAS TIME FOR HER TO GO. DAVID COOKE IS THE BEST AND SHOULD BE THE IDOL. I LIKE LITTLE DAVID TOO BUT THINK HE IS TO YOUNG RIGHT NOW. HE WILL STILL GET HIS CHANCE BUT I DON'T THINK HE IS READY YET TO BE THE IDOL

Anonymous said...

I guess they meant "riddance." Learn to spell, dude/dudette.

Anonymous said...

If david archuleta wins, it will be the end of this show. I vow it.

Anonymous said...

i don't even consider archuleta a real musician... Brooke was one. She understands instruments, and she could sing.

lisa mc said...

It was time for her to go, but that was heartbreaking. Very sad. She's totally a modern-day Carly Simon, though. I might buy the album.

Anonymous said...

Ummm, David Archuleta plays the piano. But I kind of know what you mean. He has no soul. He's stupid.

Anonymous said...

Ummm, David Archuleta plays the piano. But I kind of know what you mean. He has no soul. He's stupid.

Anonymous said...

Brooke was good as what she did? What is that: whiny, sappy white chick music? Is there room for another Tori Amos out there? She licked ass. Actually, if she actually licked ass she might still be on the show.