Tuesday, April 22, 2008

phantom sounds

On the plus side, no song tonight was criticized as being too cabaret.

But that could be one of the only good things to come out of Andrew Lloyd Webber week on "American Idol." For a night when tunes could have been over the top, most singers went for the safe route, creating a sea of predictability.

In a reversal of what we we saw last week, the night's top spots went to women -- with one exception. Folksy crooner Brooke White began her song and, seconds in, opted for a do-over. Later, she attributed the move to forgotten lyrics, but it could be a serious enough stumble to send her home.

Or, it could be a vehicle for a deluge of sympathy votes.

Either way, here are my rankings:

1. Carly Smithson

2. David Cook

3. Syesha Mercado

4. David Archuleta

5. Jason Castro

6. Brooke White

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brooke's song was a perfect song for her to have to sing tomorrow night when she gets kicked off...

Anonymous said...

David Cook kicked some serious ass tonight!!!!

Anonymous said...

Brooke was bad, but she wasn't as bad as Jason. Yikes, he needs to leave.

Anonymous said...

Bottom 3: Jason, Brooke, and maybe Archuleta???? I hope so.

lisa mc said...

I fear for the Castro this week. Not his kind of shit.

Syesha was not boring for once, Archuleta was in his musical theater element, carly was awesome. But I'd rank David Cook number one, just because I've seen Phantom of the Opera in London (and the movie) and he sang that damn song just as good as any For Real singer I've ever heard. That blew me away. Like, really. My mouth dropped.

Poor Brooke.

Anonymous said...

Syesha killed it last night!!! I actually have a problem with David A. Even though he is great!!! I'm getting tird of hearing these slow ballads week after week....mark a true talent who can sing fast, medium, and slow songs!!!!

Anonymous said...

top 3:
Cook
Syesha
Carly

Going home:
Brooke

Anonymous said...

Did anyone else think that Syesha looked like a hooker in that skin-tight red dress last night? Going the Haley Scarnato route, I see.