Wednesday, April 16, 2008

kristy lee: forever isn't good enough

Kristy takes us out with another performance of "Forever," which seems more ironic than ever since she definitely won't be around forever. At least when it comes to AI. The song also sounds significantly worse than last night's version.

That aside, I loved how she spent the beginning of the song serenading Simon.

At least the girl has attitude, right?

Sure, she was iffy for the first couple weeks, but in her defense Kristy did show some genuine improvement as the weeks progressed. And there is a desire among many fans to watch an underdog advance, rather than see a sure thing win. That might be what kept her around.

And in spite of all her critics, Kristy Lee was never at the level of Sanjaya or Haley Scarnato. She's a good singer, but she just has limited range.

Her elimination tonight isn't a total shocker, but I do think she was more on top of her game than ever Tuesday. Yet she was bound to go eventually. I wouldn't have liked to see her in the top 3. Or even the top 5.

Oh well. Nothing lasts forever.

(Note: What a bad song to sing on the week you're eliminated. Let the puns begin.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I can't believe it's Kristy. She was good last night. And her snarky attitude was NEEDED. There are way too many nicey nice kids this time (David A. and Brooke). Poor Kristy. I suppose there's no getting that horse back now. But what an awesome country song it will make. Dolly will be proud, and mama, too.

Anonymous said...

yeah I have to admit i actually got excited about kristy watching her last night. I wanted to see her get better and better and make us all eat our words like feces for breakfast

Anonymous said...

No, that wasn't an ironic song choice for the week you get eliminated. It's actually quite appropriate.. she's singing about how the relationship is over and how she'll remember it forever and hold it dear to her heart. Which is probably true for her, but maybe not on the other end. But I thought it was a great last performance.

Anonymous said...

I agree that Kristy was a lot better than Sanjaya.. and I had to youtube Haley Scarnato because I'd completely forgotten about her already! What a skank hoe with no vocal ability.. The judges really screwed up last year, didn't they?

I'm glad there's no completely despicable in this year's competition. I hated Kristy a lot more earlier than I do now, though

Anonymous said...

poor brook! she didnt deserv to be in the botom that was were syesha shoulda ben!

Anonymous said...

i liked kristy she was the only hot one left.

Anonymous said...

At least for Kristy she left on a high note, she has been pretty good the last few weeks after a rough start. I think we'll be hearing her on Country radio within a year or so, Kelly Pickler (who didn't make the top 3 either) proved you don't have to win Idol to be a country music star.

I honestly believe it's difficult for a country singer to do well on Idol, country music just isn't popular enough with all the young kids that do most of the voting on that show.

lisa mc said...

Well, isn't there a Nashville Idol for young country singers? So it would be slightly more difficult for a pop country singer to make it on a mainstream show when there's already another show to go on. I don't really know, though, because I haven't watched that show and I don't know how popular it is.

Anonymous said...

lisa,
you're thinking about Nashville Star, I heard it's moving from USA to NBC this year. It's a pretty good show, but the winners from that show have not shared the same success as winners from American Idol.

Personally, I think a country singer has a better chance of making a career if he/she finishes 5th on Idol vs. winning Nashville Star. Then if a country singer manages to win American Idol....well... see: Carrie Underwood

But the move to NBC should increase viewership, so that might increase the success of the contestants.