Tuesday, April 8, 2008

carly gives us a show

Time for Carly Smithson, who says stuff I can't really understand. I'm guessing it's about dreams, though.

Song: "The Show Must Go On"

Me: Wow, hard rock on inspirational night. Kind of random. But on a positive note, she clearly heeded Simon's advice about physical appearance. Looking good. Anyway, the performance is a bit too rough for me at times, and I'm not convinced she was ever inspired by this song. Maybe things are different in Ireland, though. Still, it's vocally solid, and I like it overall. I would have liked it better if the theme was "Queen" or "rock," though.

Randy: "It was just OK for me...it didn't quite hit the mark."

Paula: "I didn't feel engaged with you."

Simon: "You look good...I thought it was an unusual choice of song for you tonight...It actually came off, strangely, as an angry performance."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the exact same thing about her being angry.. it was affected, definitely. But I'm not sure why she would affect that on "inspirational night."

But I have to give her props for doing something from Moulin Rouge

Anonymous said...

Bottom three. I said it first.

lisa mc said...

OK, did you catch the girl holding up the "Lick your lips!" sign for Arculeta? She was like, 8! What the hell is wrong with America? And why do the 8-year-olds of our country no longer have taste?

Stoners are so much hotter than gaspy 17-year-olds with paralyzed vocal cords and angry stage daddies. Does he even have a mother? Is she kept in the closet and only allowed to come out for TV appearances? Why, Jesus, why?

Anonymous said...

haha I thought you were the biggest fan of paralyzed vocal chord guy at first

lisa mc said...

I was until he became completely annoying and gaspy. And my Castro love wasn't in full effect yet.

Archuleta was cooler before he became American Idol's John Tesh.

Amanda said...

Carly was trying to bring her serious rocker girl side out today to get away from the Celine stigma of a corner she's painted herself into.


But it was a decent performance. Good vocals.

Anonymous said...

Carly is a belter. And we all know what that means. Big notes, big voice, big range.

But she's trying to prove with songs like this that at least she's got a little bit of range in the songs she belts. They're not all exactly the same.