Wednesday, April 23, 2008

carly leaves superstardom

Ironically, Carly's departure came on what was undoubtedly one of her most comfortable weeks of the season. In past weeks, she struggled with stage presence, as well as vocal tone, but the Broadway theme appeared to help her at least temporarily find her comfort zone.

So what sent her home? A variety of factors.

Of course, there's always the assumption that the performance night's stronger contestants are automatically at a disadvantage, since fans assume they're safe.

Then there's Carly's semi-pro background. Critics say Season 7 has plenty of "plants," but from the beginning Carly's brief honeymoon with MCA Records received the most scrutiny. It made many viewers naturally skeptical, especially given producers' reluctance to disclose more details.

Maybe viewers put too high of expectations on her and she never delivered. Maybe her at times robotic stage presence made seem more like a recording industry machine than a real person.

Either way, she's outta here -- well before her time, I say. Brooke's unprofessionalism should have made her the automatic choice to go home.

Thoughts?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

brooke is no less unprofessional than all real artists.. maybe not pop ones, but artists that are like her and play their own instruments... it's not just about delivering a plastic performance.. it's about soul. it's about feeling.

Anonymous said...

brooke is no more unprofessional than all real artists.. maybe not pop ones, but artists that are like her and play their own instruments... it's not just about delivering a plastic performance.. it's about soul. it's about feeling.

Anonymous said...

whoops meant to say "more unprofessional"

Anonymous said...

So glad Jason made it out alive. I don't know how he'll do with neil diamond...

Anonymous said...

Well, I would have liked to see Carly beat out Archuleta, and of course Syesha... Weird. I think Syesha was even surprised because Carly did so well last night

Anonymous said...

Do you think Carly will actually make it? I don't know that she's original to have a successful pop career.

Are there any diehard Carly fans out there who want to argue with me?

Anonymous said...

David Archuleta is a glamour puss.

Anonymous said...

Carly should've at least made it to the final three.She was just starting to show off her lower range and her "softer" vocals.I really think that she will do well professionally.She has that special quality that not many performers have that can't be taught,it comes from living.I really think that she will take advantage of this second opportunity and will appreciate it all the more for knowing how difficult the music industry can be.I really thought she would make the end!Still, I think that there are a lot of fans who will support her and buy her music and go to see her perform.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that Brooke made the right choice. I saw Phish restart YEM one time, and everybody in the crowd was all like ohh nooo, what up wit that!!!

But Carly waint no thang. What is it? She was all just like whatevs. We need some spunk in this funk.

Has Jesse from Who Wants To Be a VJ 1 ever tried out for Idol?!?

Johnny Five

Amanda said...

Man, Sonya, you dissing Brooke is like you dissing my best friend.

I am a fan because I like her as an ARTIST. I would actually shell out money for her stuff.. I probably wouldn't download a music video showcasing her dancing skills, however...

But at this point, it's about which style of music will prevail. I can guarantee you it won't be Syesha, and I doubt Castro will go on much longer, either. I'd actually be surprised if Archuleta wins.

But I think Brooke has a fighting chance.

Anonymous said...

Brooke is awful. She has no vocal range, no personality and no rhythm. She's the pure example of pre-packaged "music." She is to music what Twinkies are to snack food ... tasteless, unsatisfying and eventually, as we all find out, a waste of time.

Anonymous said...

no rhythm? just because she can't dance? I've not heard of any musicians that don't have rhythm. what a stupid comment.

Anonymous said...

I still think David A. is gonna win this thang. He has a huge fan base regardless of who likes it or not. The boy DOES have talent and can sing his hiney off.