Wednesday, April 2, 2008

ramiele didn't cross our minds

Ramiele sings her farewell song in a performance that's significantly less weepy than I expected. Actually, the song also sounds much better than what we got last night.

This was an easy elimination to predict, and one that in many fans' minds was long overdue. I wouldn't agree with that, but I do think Ramiele peaked much too early in the competition. Honestly, the only song of hers I can remember vividly is her take on Dusty Springfield's "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me."

And that was the first week of the top 24 stage.

Among Ramiele's biggest weaknesses, I think, were poor song choices that often did nothing to showcase her strengths. She was in a tough position, though, since she wasn't a full-fledged belter but still did better on the more powerful notes.

Then, most importantly, was the lack of personality. She had no banter with the judges, no quirky personal traits, no memorable anecdotes. When you're on the verge vocally, that will hurt you.

What do you think? Did the right person go home?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe kristy this week deserved to go home before ramiele, but it was kinda inevitable

Anonymous said...

brooke, david c, and jason's strengths are all in that they have a particular brand/style... ramiele never got her own.

Anonymous said...

what is that strang noise she always makes .." oi looo" is that filippino??

wtgm3 said...

I think Ramiele was the right one to leave, even though I hated to see someone from my state leave so soon. Whatever she is saying may very well be Tagalog, which is what the Filippino language is called.

Anonymous said...

Poor Ramiele! She was so cute and seemed like a genuinely nice person. And we were soclose to having an Asian American Idol!

Well there's always next year.

Amanda said...

OK, last night was quite the lesson for me. No longer can I be a crazed Brooke fan who sits on her lazy butt and just wishes her well. I'm going to have to start calling in. Which is saying a lot for me because I hate to use the phone.

I cannot BELIEVE America put her in the bottom 3! I mean seriously, she's supposed to win this thing, or at least be in the top 2 (with David Cook).

And is she REALLY on the same level as Ramiele and Kristy Lee?? The notion is ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

i'm confused.. is it better to banter with the judges or to nod and smile because you're saying doing nothing hurt ramiele, and yet everyone always says talking back to simon is dangerous

lisa mc said...

I never thought about it, but she may have been speaking Tagalog. That explains all the funny noises I didn't understand. I've heard it spoken before and it does sound like what she was saying...

that said, being filipino was the most interesting thing about her. so ... yeah.

amanda, you best vote for brooke now. haha.