Tuesday, March 25, 2008

chikezie: one-night harmony?

Uh-oh. Chikezie is up. He tells us he's doing a ballad. Maybe not the best decision. Wow. He was born on Sept. 11. He also uses the phrase "Nigerian cultural" music again. How much do you think he loves saying that?

Song: "If Only for One Night"

Me: He's back in Ruben Studdard mode. Vocals are solid, especially the more powerful notes toward the end. That aside, I can't say this kind of song choice really does much to separate him from the pack. Maybe I'd reather see him jumping around to bluegrass. Thing is, Chikezie might be in danger of an identity crisis since this performance comes after two straight weeks of bluegrass. You almost always run a risk when you do a slow song, and this one might have put him in danger.

Randy: "I didn't love it for you...it was very old school."

Paula: "It's a good throwback...I think that you did a great job."

Simon: "I think you sang it well...I thout the performance, actually, was very cheesy."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually loved that. He had really good vocals. And he is Chikezie, so cheesy is fine, I think.

Anonymous said...

i dug it too! go chikezie! he's way cute. what a nice smile. great grill

Anonymous said...

I like his voice, hope he stays.
He looked pissed when Simon called him on shaking handswith audience saying he was singing it for himself. that was a snarky comment.

definitely the wrong song. that's why this sounds like karaoke as opposed to american idol. i know he can do better than tonight (even though it wasn't all too terrible). Bottom line, sing like this again, and you're done.

Amanda said...

Great voice, wrong song. Snore fest. but still, nice sound.