Wednesday, February 20, 2008

carly's not smiling

Carly Smithson's up. Wow! She discloses her prior $2 million record deal! I can't believe it. Do you think this will help or hurt her?

Song: "The Shadow of Your Smile"

Me: Surprisingly, I'm not too impressed. First, she looks like a vampire. And her outfit makes her look pregnant. I'm guessing she opted for long sleeves because producers often advise contestants that tattoos hurt their fan base. Performance-wise, though, it's not that good. The slow song is boring, even off-key at points. It's hardly a train wreck, but its subpar nature could easily hurt the singer who has been the primarily focus of this season's hype.

Randy: "That's what the show is all about...The best vocal of the past two days."

Paula: "You are the lucky coin in the pocket."

Simon: "I thought the song was way too old-fashioned for you...Everything about it for me was a letdown."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

best vocal??? is randy hearing the same thing I heard? it was all right, but I think the token phrase he should have used was "forgettable"

Anonymous said...

HA!! I knew that Simon would say Caberet! I totally called that. This show is so predictable. At least the judges are

Anonymous said...

naw this girl rocked it out slowness stile... i dug it best of the nite

Anonymous said...

I liked it.

Amanda said...

I agree with your thoughts about slow songs... they shouldn't sing them until they've gotten a good following. And I have to admit, Carly was one of my favorite girls until tonight. I was a bit disappointed and bored with her song choice.

It's interesting though that they keep putting an emphasis on "saving the best for last." Have they already decided they want Carly or Michael Johns to win? And also that they DID save the two people with cool accents for last. Coincidence? Yeah, probably.

Anonymous said...

The history that Randy and Carly have together at MCA records really came out tonight. He is so transparent by trying to say that she was the best of all 24. Can you say conflict of interest.Randy/Idol quit trying to promote her above everyone else and let the people decide.