Wednesday, February 20, 2008

not feelin' ladies night

Boring.

That's how Dawn, my viewing partner, half-jokingly advised I begin this post, and it's not too far from the truth. On a night that's traditionally one of the season's highlights, the 12 remaining women tonight offered mainly under-par performances.

I never thought I'd say this...but I think I even liked the GUYS better in this first round of semifinals, because at least some of them were concretely boring. The girls, on the other hand, were neither excellent nor awful. Just kind of...there.

Seacrest blamed it in part on illness, but aside from Kristy Lee and Carly, there was no additional mention of any kind of outbreak. And hey...if they already survived blue tongues, they're not exactly poised to cite illness as an excuse.

If I had to pick standouts, I'd say Ramiele's vocally solid, yet controlled, take on "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me." And Alexandrea Lushington's R&B spin on "Spinning Wheel."

The judges seemed to love Asia'h, but I thought she just kind of got stuck in the sea of this season's many, many, many renditions of "Piece of My Heart."

Who's out? Amy Davis hurt herself with a ballad, "Where the Boys Are." Pair that with the relatively little air time she's received, and I say goodbye.

Second spot goes to Kristy Lee Cook. She might get pity votes for being sick, but her first-singer slot puts her at a disadvantage. Not to mention the fact that her performance wasn't that good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree with your picks fo de outtas. they outtas here tmrw.

Anonymous said...

I wonder why amy got so little airtime when she appears to be a plant. maybe she's not after all.