Tuesday, April 1, 2008

will you love syesha?

Next, Syesha Mercado, who for some reason is crying when she explains her song choice. Also, I'm not exactly sure that Dolly liked her.

Song: "I Will Always Love You"

Me: Groan. I did NOT want her to sing this song. On the plus side, though, she didn't go overboard on the belting as I predicted. The beginning was good, and even a little original. And I did like the (self-indulgent) high note at the end. But it still wasn't Whitney Houston caliber, and that will hurt her.

Randy: "I think you did pretty good. It was all right."

Paula: "You're connecting with the audience so much more."

Simon: "It was a good, it was a fantastic, version of the song."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the dolly version of this song so much bettter anyway, and syesha did a great version. that dress was beautiful. i want one.

Anonymous said...

great long note at the end. I was kinda hoping she'd crack though

Anonymous said...

Yeah definitely not up to Whitney par. And does no one know the cardinal AI rule...... NO WHITNEY!!!

Anonymous said...

she has an absolutely amazing voice and she should be a backup singer wonce she gets kicked off this show.

Amanda said...

I admit I groaned when I saw that she was going the predictable, naive route of singing this song. But I like that she went more Dolly with it and simplified it, w/out all the Whitney runs. She seemed vulnerable, sincere, vocally pure, and indeed a bit creative. I hated Syesha from Day -1, but I am gaining respect for her.