Wednesday, March 21, 2007

god patrol?


More on Wednesday night's episode later, but I wanted to start the morning by addressing the Chris Sligh controversy (?) that broke this week.
For those of you who don't know, Chris is reportedly a devout Christian and some members of his faith community are alleging his appearance on the show will undermine some of his religious values. While Chris' pastor has defended him, the criticism has come mainly from Bob Jones University, a fundamentalist school in South Carolina that the singer reportedly attended for several years.
In this article, a spokesperson for the university notes, "We really are somewhat disappointed with the direction he has gone musically."
After leaving Bob Jones, Chris reportedly attended South Carolina's Baptist-rooted North Greenville University, where he's also gained AI support. But a professor from the school still is concerned about the singer's "long-term spiritual journey," the article says.
I don't think this issue will ignite a fire anywhere near as strong as the Antonella Barba fiasco, but I still am interested in hearing your comments. Is this issue relevant?
I'd especially like to hear from a certain someone who is close personal friends with Chris Sligh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This argument is ridiculous. I am a Christian, and I listen to secular music as well as contemporary Christian music, and the former can be just as uplifting as the latter.

As long as Chris isn't singing anything profane or negative, how can anyone criticize the "direction" he's taken with his music? He's just trying to get an audience -- to make it onto the scene. All these hypocritical rule-sticklers (ahem, bob jones) bother me.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh you must be talking to me because I dated Chris Sligh! We had a great relationship and identical curly fros. He was always writing me funny poems and playing with my hair. It didn't last, though. He met that blond girl he's married to and dropped me like I wasn't hot. Oh, the adorable, curly-headed babies we could have had.

Anonymous said...

You know what would cause a worthwhile scandal? If photos of Chris surfaced in which he was swimming naked in a pool of KY with a minister/professor from Bob Jones.. and Simon. Otherwise, this topic bores me