Thursday, March 22, 2007

sorry, stephanie


I think my comments last night pretty much covered all my feelings about Stephanie's elimination. I'm kind of annoyed by the fact that many blogs have dubbed the departure a "surprise." False. People don't want to only see belters. This season is already too female-heavy, and the one with the least amount of personality had to go.


But the personality issue brings up an interesting question. Stephanie's elimination reaffirms my belief in the fact that AI is rigged. Not because I think she didn't deserve to go, but more so because AI producers didn't market her well at all throughout the entire course of the season.


While we learned a lot about most contestants' personal lives -- hobbies, significant others, etc. -- Stephanie got limited air time. And while Jordin's youth (she's 17) was stressed heavily at this season's get-go, judges barely acknowledged 19-year-old Stephanie's young maturity.


That's not to say Stephanie should have stuck around. She had little charisma, and she spent more time imitating idol Beyonce than trying to be an idol of her own. Producers knew she wouldn't sell records, and so did I.


Thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, I think you're on to something. they HAVE spent a lot of time on certain contestants -- melinda, la kisha, blake, sanjaya -- and left several contestants unmemorable. but what about taylor hicks last year? simon said he was not going to make it, and he did. but I can't remember if they gave his backstory much air time